About the Guest House
The Guest House is located right in the middle of Erfurt’s old city. Some of Erfurt’s most famous sights such as the Merchants’ Bridge, the Cathedral Square and the Augustinian monastery are within walking distance. The main building of Erfurt’s old university, the “Collegium Maius”, is situated right across the street. The IBZ itself is a historic building as well. It was already used for university purposes from 1392 until 1395 when it was home to the vice-chancellor Amplonius Rattingk von Bercka at the time. It was later on turned into a printing house by Melchior Sachse who printed Martin Luther’s translation of the Bible there.
The building’s historic charm was preserved throughout all the reconstructions over time, making it a special place to live for researchers from all over the world. The close proximity to public transport is considered very convenient and makes the University’s campus easily accessible. The river Gera and the park area “Little Venice“ are located close-by and offer great opportunities for relaxing walks on the weekends. The IBZ’s courtyard and library as the common room are inviting places for researchers to meet and connect.
The 17 apartments of various sizes are fully furnished and equipped with household appliances, bed linen, towels and Wi-Fi. They are spread out over the building’s three floors. International scientists can rent the flats for a minimum of 30 days. Furthermore, the IBZ provides a conference room and adjacent kitchen and is a valuable option for University researchers to carry out workshops and meetings.